Links

Avalanche Conditions
CRITICAL TO CHECK.

Mountain Safety
Good information on traveling safely in the Canadian backcountry.

Ice Encyclopedia
Nice site providing route descriptions and photos for ice climbs in Alberta and BC.

Canmore Guide
Where to stay, eat, etc.

Rockies Climbing Cycle
Ice Season Progression--how to plan a trip to the Rockies.

Gravsports.com
The old Gravsports Ice Page--lots of info on past years, etc.

ACMG
Mountain Conditions Reports, good resource from guides in the area.

CASA
Climbers' access group, worth supporting.

Most Recent Photos
North Ghost devastated
Aquarious
Fearful Symmetry
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#15006 - 12/23/13 10:09 PM “Punani Tsunami” M7(ish), Cougar Creek.
bryce Offline
WI6

“Punani Tsunami” M7(ish), Cougar Creek. Bryce Brown and Lyle Rotter Dec 23, 2013.
This is a mixed line to gain the unformed ice of Explodomatic. If you are wondering about the name, the Urban Dictionary can fill you in...
The last edition of the ice guide is somewhat vague about the location of this climb. We think we have it figured out. Walk to Canadian Forks, take a right then another right (as described) - basically continue past the Planet X rock area. Explodo is about 20 min from the Forks. Total stumble is 1.5-2 hours depending on how much snow is hiding the boulders and ice in the river bed.
Start on thin ice on the left of the curtain then some rock moves to swing onto the main flow. 4 bolts and a few screws (no rock gear needed). Bolt anchor at top of ice on the left. 30m rap.
The Gong Show is another 15min past Explodo up the same drainage. It is in. We suspect the “partially formed pillar” described in the guide is probably Explodomatic.

#15037 - 12/27/13 08:38 PM Re: “Punani Tsunami” M7(ish), Cougar Creek. [Re: bryce]
Sandro RS Offline
WI1

Loc: Alberta
HI Bryce,

Marc Lindenbach and I hiked back and took a spin on your new rig yesterday Dec 26/13. Your directions were great; we found the route easily. The bolting and anchor were also good. It was a fun line and when combined with The Gong Show made for a nice day out. Our feeling is that Punani Tsunami is more likely M6 than M7 as it was easier than the M6+/7 routes at crags like Grotto, Bear Spirit or Haffner

Alessandro Roome-Sandrin

#15049 - 12/28/13 09:48 AM Re: “Punani Tsunami” M7(ish), Cougar Creek. [Re: bryce]
bryce Offline
WI6

Great thanks for the feedback! Ya I agree probably more like M6. I wasn't so sure of the grade, found it hard to compare to other established mixed climbs I've done (clean and hooked out). It felt harder with the original loose holds and scratching around - should only get easier once its climbed a few times!

#15063 - 12/29/13 10:10 PM Re: “Punani Tsunami” M7(ish), Cougar Creek. [Re: bryce]
iceadmin/Will Gadd Offline
WI∞
WI8

That looks really cool, nice one!

Random Radness
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 0 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

Gravsports-ice.com

Also visit:

Gravsports.com