Links

Avalanche Conditions
CRITICAL TO CHECK.

Mountain Safety
Good information on traveling safely in the Canadian backcountry.

Ice Encyclopedia
Nice site providing route descriptions and photos for ice climbs in Alberta and BC.

Canmore Guide
Where to stay, eat, etc.

Rockies Climbing Cycle
Ice Season Progression--how to plan a trip to the Rockies.

Gravsports.com
The old Gravsports Ice Page--lots of info on past years, etc.

ACMG
Mountain Conditions Reports, good resource from guides in the area.

CASA
Climbers' access group, worth supporting.

TABVAR
Local org that replaces sketchy old anchors and crappy bolts. Give them money.

Most Recent Photos
North Ghost devastated
Aquarious
Fearful Symmetry
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#5741 - 01/26/10 09:52 PM The Bearable Lightness of Gravity
Walter Strong Offline
WI4

Loc: transient but i have a dream
Names have been changed to protect the innocent and to comply with a court order.

So there I was, leading the second pitch, the crux pitch, of Guinness Gully. Normally grade 4 but today in grade 6+ condition. There was a thin veneer of ice virtually spit over the rock. More frost than ice really; like a freezer needing a defrost. Screws were out of the question. In a gallant move of grizzled bravado meant to impress my new partner Julie, I had left the screws with her. She was impressed.

I was wearing new boots. They fit like a glove in the shop, but on the ice I started to feel my heel lifting. My heel lifted higher and higher until it finally levered the rear snap buckle off and released my crampon. I had recently removed my crampon straps to cut weight for an upcoming attempt on Reality Bath, so my crampon launched out into the void. I felt a chill. I was 15 ft off the deck, no pro in sight or even with me.

“Jul-lee, Jul-lee,” I yelled (Julie is French), “jay purdoo moan crampon”. But there was silence. I thought I might have heard some mumbled cursing, but it was just the wind. I knew this was for me to sort out and not for her. In the sagacious words of Hunter S. Thompson, “Buy the ticket; take the ride.”

Down-climbing sans crampon was unthinkable on this rock glazeé. There was nothing to sink a tool into; nothing that could support body weight. I felt doomed and began to give into that despondency that always precedes illumination, but in a flash of inspired observation I realized that I was surrounded by Burgess shale. So I dug out my pocket knife and slid the blade in between two flakes of shale and pressed it in with my thumb. I tied it off with a screamer and asked Julie to take on red.

She took on red and pulled me off the route. In my momentary glee I had forgotten to clip in. The snow was soft. Now laying prone on my back I gazed up at Julie who had a look of disdain mixed with disbelief that could only be described as Gallic. She then turned away and would not look at me. Which was weird. Very Gallic-Canadien.

Gingerly I wiggled my fingers and toes. I was pleased to have survived my ordeal and the sharp pain in my back suggested that I had found my lost crampon. I knew that Julie and I would never again climb together. She was already walking away to find a rappel. She left me with red to find my own way off.

If there’s a lesson to take from this, I don’t know what it is. Sometimes a person does everything right and the mountain bites back without reason or provocation. Chance is a cruel mistress, but to someone she’ll now be generous lover, as there’s a deeply discounted pair of boots for sale in the gear forum. Used once. Just barely.

#5751 - 01/27/10 09:09 AM Re: The Bearable Lightness of Gravity [Re: Walter Strong]
cread Offline
WI4

Loc: Calgary
Wow, that was pretty damn eloquent. You should consider writing for Gripped or another climbing publication.......

#5752 - 01/27/10 09:18 AM Re: The Bearable Lightness of Gravity [Re: cread]
Walter Strong Offline
WI4

Loc: transient but i have a dream
Maybe I'll write up Reality Bath when the time comes. If you can handle that kind of truth. cread.

#5761 - 01/27/10 11:55 PM Re: The Bearable Lightness of Gravity [Re: Walter Strong]
DrWho Offline

WI7

Loc: Trans Canada Hwy
hey that was a really good piece! so was the previous one too. fun reads!

#16149 - 11/03/14 08:04 AM Re: The Bearable Lightness of Gravity [Re: Walter Strong]
Greg McKee Offline
WI5

Loc: Saskatoon
I've gone back and read this a couple of times in the last couple years
. “jay purdoo moan crampon” completely cracks me up.

#16782 - 01/13/15 12:32 AM Re: The Bearable Lightness of Gravity [Re: Walter Strong]
Sylvain Offline

WI6

Loc: Canmore, Alberta
Fucking Hilarious "his hall I can comup witt"

Well done Walter! Julee will be missin gnout...

S

#17559 - 11/16/15 06:50 PM Re: The Bearable Lightness of Gravity [Re: Walter Strong]
Peter Way Offline
WI2

Loc: Portland OR
Heck Walter

I would climb with you
Provided you do all the leading

#17572 - 11/17/15 10:36 AM Re: The Bearable Lightness of Gravity [Re: Walter Strong]
Ben Stanley Offline
WI4

Loc: Kimberley
love that this thread got bumped... hilarious!

i'd call walter witty... but i think he would disagree.

thanks for the write-up walter

Random Radness
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 0 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

Gravsports-ice.com

Also visit:

Gravsports.com