Links

Avalanche Conditions
CRITICAL TO CHECK.

Mountain Safety
Good information on traveling safely in the Canadian backcountry.

Ice Encyclopedia
Nice site providing route descriptions and photos for ice climbs in Alberta and BC.

Canmore Guide
Where to stay, eat, etc.

Rockies Climbing Cycle
Ice Season Progression--how to plan a trip to the Rockies.

Gravsports.com
The old Gravsports Ice Page--lots of info on past years, etc.

ACMG
Mountain Conditions Reports, good resource from guides in the area.

CASA
Climbers' access group, worth supporting.

TABVAR
Local org that replaces sketchy old anchors and crappy bolts. Give them money.

Most Recent Photos
North Ghost devastated
Aquarious
Fearful Symmetry
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16150 - 11/03/14 01:58 PM Right Hand Drive Vehicles and more
MANGO Offline
WI6

Loc: Calgary
Firstly I regret my shouts are perceived as Spam. I thought it was interesting that there was a BC study done on RHD vehicles indicating there more likely to be in accidents. There are many ways to deem the statistics as not credible, but overall it makes sense to me that they are less safe. As much as the beloved Delica is utilitarian, it for example also has a smaller track width which I would think would make it more roll prone. Here is an article on it from the metro: http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/983473/alberta-probes-merit-of-new-rules-on-right-hand-drive-cars/

Anyways something to think about if your looking for a climbing rig. Personally I don't think its worth the risk of getting a RHD vehicle but obviously many climbers think otherwise or just really like what you cannot get in the North American market, especially diesels.

RE driving risk in general: I recently reviewed some stats put out by the Alberta government and found it startling: http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/3119.htm

We tend to anywise the heck out of climbing accidents and many of us take pride in climbing as safely as possible. I know I have made many mistakes driving and I haven't always been a "very good driver". I find looking at the stats really hammers home basic stuff that many of us abuse, like keeping both hands on the wheel, avoiding distractions such as texting, etc.

"Running off the road" is involved in 30% + of all fatal accidents with almost one person per day dying in Alberta alone. What is also scary is that Alberta has one of the lowest death rates of all the provinces. Most of the fatal accidents (more than 60%) are in perfect road conditions...this tells me falling asleep and distraction are major major issues.

I found the statistics to be quite convincing in terms of my need to be more careful driving. It is my hope that you will read this and be inspired to be as safe of a driver as possible.

Some scary facts: on the average day in Alberta one person will die because of a motor vehicle accident. 358 people died in 2013, thats 1 in 10,000 per year on average.

Edited by MANGO (11/03/14 02:16 PM)

#18181 - 02/03/16 02:11 PM Re: Right Hand Drive Vehicles and more [Re: MANGO]
Brian Martin Offline
WI2

Loc: bc
I think if you look at the stats they are only more likely to be in accidents in the first year of the driver driving right hand and it is simply a question of a new perception. I.e when am I in my lane with RHD vs LHD. The car now being bigger on the left with RHD

#19168 - 07/14/17 02:45 AM Re: Right Hand Drive Vehicles and more [Re: MANGO]
BillyKnight Offline
WI1

Loc: Kelowna, B.C.
Originally Posted By: MANGO
Firstly I regret my shouts are perceived as Spam. I thought it was interesting that there was a BC study done on RHD vehicles indicating there more likely to be in accidents. There are many ways to deem the statistics as not credible, but overall it makes sense to me that they are less safe. As much as the beloved Delica is utilitarian, it for example also has a smaller track width which I would think would make it more roll prone. Here is an article on it from the metro: http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/983473/alberta-probes-merit-of-new-rules-on-right-hand-drive-cars/

Anyways something to think about if your looking for a climbing rig. Personally I don't think its worth the risk of getting a RHD vehicle but obviously many climbers think otherwise or just really like what you cannot get in the North American market, especially diesels.

RE driving risk in general: I recently reviewed some stats put out by the Alberta government and found it startling: http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/3119.htm

We tend to anywise the heck out of climbing accidents and many of us take pride in climbing as safely as possible. I know I have made many mistakes driving and I haven't always been a "very good driver". I find looking at the stats really hammers home basic stuff that many of us abuse, like keeping both hands on the wheel, avoiding distractions such as texting, etc.

"Running off the road" is involved in 30% + of all fatal accidents with almost one person per day dying in Alberta alone. What is also scary is that Alberta has one of the lowest death rates of all the provinces. Most of the fatal accidents (more than 60%) are in perfect road conditions...this tells me falling asleep and distraction are major major issues.

I found the statistics to be quite convincing in terms of my need to be more careful driving. It is my hope that you will read this and be inspired to be as safe of a driver as possible.

Some scary facts: on the average day in Alberta one person will die because of a motor vehicle accident. 358 people died in 2013, thats 1 in 10,000 per year on average.

I am honestly surprised that the death toll is that low. Alberta has some death trap highways and I am so happy I don't have to drive them all the time anymore.

Moderator:  Will Test 
Random Radness
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 0 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

Gravsports-ice.com

Also visit:

Gravsports.com