Links

Avalanche Conditions
CRITICAL TO CHECK.

Mountain Safety
Good information on traveling safely in the Canadian backcountry.

Ice Encyclopedia
Nice site providing route descriptions and photos for ice climbs in Alberta and BC.

Canmore Guide
Where to stay, eat, etc.

Rockies Climbing Cycle
Ice Season Progression--how to plan a trip to the Rockies.

Gravsports.com
The old Gravsports Ice Page--lots of info on past years, etc.

ACMG
Mountain Conditions Reports, good resource from guides in the area.

CASA
Climbers' access group, worth supporting.

TABVAR
Local org that replaces sketchy old anchors and crappy bolts. Give them money.

Most Recent Photos
North Ghost devastated
Aquarious
Fearful Symmetry
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#19183 - 10/26/17 10:55 AM What gloves are you using?
WesB Offline
WI3

I am a big fan of the OR Contact gloves and my 4 pairs are starting to wear out, so I'll need to add a few new gloves into the rotation.
Since I can't find the OR Contact gloves anymore, what would be the next best thing?
My typical uses will be mainly pure ice climbing down to about -25C. I'm getting old now and so is climbing colder than that. smile

Cheers,
Wes

#19185 - 10/27/17 12:23 AM Re: What gloves are you using? [Re: WesB]
Grant P Offline

WI8

Loc: Calgary
I have a couple pairs of the OR Alpine Alibi and a couple pairs of the BD heavy duty ice specific gloves although I forget the name (Enforcer maybe). The BD may be a tad warmer, and the impact gel padding is nice, but they are a bit more cumbersome. The OR AA has better dexterity I think.

On warmer days I scale to lighter gloves. A midweight BD (Punisher type) or even the BD Arc.

I think you have a couple choices for those really cold days. Staying home with a decent beer, a good rum, or an old whiskey, or the other choice being to resort to mitts. In the meantime I hope you get the suggestions or find the replacements for those days you don't stay home.

#19189 - 11/02/17 04:43 PM Re: What gloves are you using? [Re: WesB]
Rone Offline
WI6

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
You, my friend, are beyond old. You are ancient! And I don't have any suggestions for you, just trying to cheer you up.

Edited by Rone (11/02/17 04:44 PM)

#19211 - 11/11/17 12:08 PM Re: What gloves are you using? [Re: WesB]
Jarrid Offline
WI3

I view ice climbing gloves as the Holy Grail. If anybody finds the Holy Grail of ice climbing gloves please share.

The old OR Extravert was my favourite, and then in their infinite wisdom, they completely changed them the following season. I made sure to buy a few pairs, but I now only have one good pair (Thanks Sarah H.!!) which I save for when the chips are down.

Currently using the Rab Icefall Gauntlet. Their still not quite broken in, but I think they'll work very well and are definitely waterproof.

OR Stormtracker is a nice glove too.

All depends on fit etc. I have put a personal moratorium on me buying anymore gloves until I wear some out.

I'm going to stop here because this is a topic I could just rant about for ages.

Random Radness
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 0 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

Gravsports-ice.com

Also visit:

Gravsports.com